Apply with Active Devon for Inequalities Funding to Help Targeted Groups
Active Devon has received Tackling Inequalities Funding from Sport England to disseminate across Devon as a result of COVID-19.
The Tackling Inequalities Funding aims to support targeted groups in communities who have been most affected by the conditions lockdown has created, which has seen their activity levels dramatically affected.
Active Devon is requesting applications from organisations who can help reduce the negative impact of COVID-19 and the widening of the inequalities in sport and physical activity.
The Priority Groups Targeted
Sport England commissioned a Physical Activity, Attitudes and Behaviours Survey during COVID-19. Data from this survey is highlighting the widening gaps in the activity levels across existing priority groups. These groups are:
- People from Lower Socio-Economic Groups (LSEG)
- Black, Asian, Minority Ethnic Communities (BAME)
- Disabled People
- People with Long Term Health Conditions (LTCs)
COVID-19 is likely to have a significant impact on their ability to be physically active. This has the potential to further widen the gaps that exist between these priority groups and the general population.
They are likely to have higher mortality rates from COVID-19 which can create a culture of fear where people are choosing to stay indoors to keep safe. Additionally, we know there is a greater impact upon their financial status which is the single greatest determinant of activity levels.
To find out more about the targeted groups click here.
Criteria for Funding
Projects must be able to demonstrate the following criteria to be considered:
- Be focused on one or more of the following targeted groups: People from Lower Socio-Economic Groups; Black, Asian, Minority Ethnic Communities; Disabled People, People with Long-Term Health Conditions
- Show how the funding will either: help the health/wellbeing/activity organisation, to survive through the next six months. And/or support the people they work with to remain active in the COVID-19 lockdown and early recovery stages over the next six months
- Demonstrate a clear financial need for the funding sought
- Demonstrate the existing relationship the club/group has with the target group and the extent of its reach into the target community
- Not be a duplicate application for funding already received from the Sport England Community Emergency Fund. (N.B additional funding is acceptable if a further financial need is evident)
- Be eligible to receive Sport England Lottery Funding (see eligibility)
Eligibility for Funding
Eligible organisations for this funding will need to support health and/or wellbeing through physical activity opportunities for the targeted groups listed above. Note: this does not have to be the organisation’s primary purpose.
Sport England funding requires recipient bodies of small grants to have a recognised constitution in place.
We won’t be able to fund:
- Activities promoting religious or political beliefs
- Any private businesses or profit-making organisations unless they are a Social Enterprise or Community Interest Company
If you are unsure if your organisation is eligible please do not hesitate to contact us. We may be able to support you to reach a constituted status or use a suitable body to help manage a grant on your behalf.
Applications will be reviewed by Active Devon and submitted to Sport England for authorisation if they meet the funding objectives. Where necessary we may contact you for further details but please be advised that we are dealing with a high volume of requests.
Active Devon’s Mentoring Scheme
Active Devon is also putting in place a mentoring scheme for organisations that apply to this fund. If you think your application would benefit from the support of an expert mentor, please indicate your interest on the application form. Or, if you are interested in finding out what support a mentor might be able to offer, please get in touch.
How to Apply
Please check the above ‘Criteria for Funding’ and ‘Eligibility for Funding’ to ensure your organisation can receive this funding.
If you are eligible, please use the link below to access a survey to complete your application.
We anticipate applications to be valued between £200 – £3,000 but with the majority of requests averaging around the £1,000 mark. Larger applications will be considered where the impact justifies it.
The form will be open for applications from the 1st- 16th August. We will aim to tell all applicants whether they are successful by the 21st August. You may be contacted for further information or to help develop your application.