Active Devon’s Public Statement on the Coronavirus Pandemic
Together with many across the country we recognise the seriousness of the Covid-19 pandemic and how rapidly the situation is developing. We know that for all of us business will continue to be far from ‘usual’ in the coming weeks.
Active Devon is working hard during this time to respond to questions and concerns from across our network and from the people of Devon. For official information and guidance on the Coronavirus pandemic, please see the government’s ongoing updates here.
We are proactively exploring ways we can continue to support physical activity during what will be a challenging time for our communities. More information will follow shortly as to what this will look and feel like.
Our overarching priority right away is to ensure the safety and wellbeing of our team, partners and the communities we serve. Therefore, in response to the latest government guidance issued on Monday 16 March 2020, we have taken the following decisions:
- We are suspending community activities that we directly deliver, and we are advising partners who provide activities on our behalf to do likewise. We are in the process of contacting them with further details.
- We are suspending the ‘in person’ delivery of training and development workshops provided by Active Devon. Where possible we will deliver these important opportunities via online channels. Sometimes that simply may not be possible in which case we will postpone delivery. We will make decisions on a case-by-case basis and notify those registered to attend accordingly.
- We are suspending ‘in person’ attendance at all external meetings and events until further notice. Wherever possible we will use online teleconference or videoconference facilities to ensure that meetings can go ahead rather than being cancelled. Our offices at Haven Banks Exeter and at Plymouth Marjon University will be closed until further notice. Our office phone lines are being diverted to mobile phoneline, so please do still call us directly with any queries.
- All Active Devon staff are now working remotely from home, and we will continue to be available via email and mobile phone.
Our immediate plan of action is as follows
- We will continue to take the necessary actions to safeguard the wellbeing of our staff and everyone involved in our work.
- We will ensure that actions in relation to activities that need postponement or adjustment have been taken in in a timely, orderly and least disruptive manner.
- We are developing ways to ensure we can provide the most effective support to wider communities of Devon, and to help them remain active during this time.
More widely, and very positively, our key national partner Sport England has already issued helpful guidance about the importance of people ‘Keeping Active’ and reassurance about how it is ‘Supporting the Sector’. Please visit here for their full update.
As part of our strong partnership with Sport England we will play our part in helping them to develop informed and effective future approaches to this developing situation. We will also do likewise with other key strategic partners.
This will include providing regular updates and resources on the Resources page of our website, so please check back regularly.